Monday, March 22, 2010

Giant Amphisbaenian (Amphisbaena alba)


"AmphisbWHAT?"

Yeah, that is generally how most people react to hearing about this strange and mysterious creature. No it is not a giant worm as many people suspect, it is actually a reptile.

“Oh so then it’s a snake”

Nope, it is an Amphisbaenian

“Is it a lizard?”

No, it is an Amphisbaenian. They are neither worm, snake, nor lizard. They belong to their own family of reptiles, the family Amphisbaenidae. Most people have heard of turtles, tortoises, snakes, lizards, and crocodiles, but few have heard of, and even fewer have ever had the privilege of seeing, an Amphisbaenian. That is because these reptiles spend most of their lives underground eating other soil creatures. There eyes are fairly simply, only sensing light and dark which makes sense since they do not have much need to see underground. Not much is known about these animals because they are rarely encountered. They occasionally come up to the surface after heavy rains. Needless to say, I was ecstatic to have the opportunity to see one. This is the Giant Amphisbaenian (Amphisbaena alba). Unfortunately, my interaction with this guy was short lived… literally.

While on a trip out to the more rural parts of Bolivia to visit a small community in the forest, I noticed what looked like a snake turn up under the wheel of the car in front of me on a dirt road through the forest. I quickly stopped my car and hopped out to see what kind of snake it was. I looked it over for a moment, baffled because it clearly wasn’t a snake, and then it hit me. It was an Amphisbaenian! All my passengers saw me erupt in excitement. Unfortunately they did not share my joy, instead, most looked on in disgust or fear.
I took it with me to the Ayore community so I could take a few photos. The Ayoreos were quite alarmed at seeing the creature. I found out later that they have a legend that when one finds an Amphisbaenian it means someone is going to die. In this case, it was the Amphisbaenian. I snapped a few photos before it succumbed to its wounds. It was exciting to see one, even if it had just been run over. That very well could have been the first and last one I will ever see. I know you may find it kind of gross, but to me it was one fantastic find!

No comments:

Post a Comment